We all have the power to influence decision-makers and the systems, policies and conditions they create for our loved ones. For example, you could speak briefly during the comments portion of your local school board meeting to acknowledge the wonderful support your loved one receives or take five minutes to send an email to your state representative in order to voice your support for or concerns about legislation that impacts the quality of medical care your loved one receives.
The following is a list of individuals and institutions that will benefit from hearing from you:
- Local - Elected officials (school board, municipal government, etc.), hospitals, non-profits, businesses
- County - Elected officials (commissioners, board, etc), county-based service providers, county departments, advisory boards
- State - Elected officials (state senators, representatives, etc.), appointed officials, state-based service providers, advisory boards
- Federal - Elected officials (senators, representatives, president), appointed officials, federally-based service providers
Saying thank you to individual and institutions that make a difference in our lives and the lives of our loved ones is important. Use the editable certificate appreciation to recognize the individuals or institutions in your community that make a difference.
- Download the certificate of appreciation
- Open the document using Adobe Acrobat Reader (download it here for free)
- Enter the name of the individual or institution in the editable light blue field in the middle of the certificate.
- Print the certificate of appreciation. You can dress it up with a frame or certificate holder from your local arts and crafts or office supply store.
- Say thanks and share a photo on Facebook or Instagram, if possible.
Request a Proclamation or Letter or Support
Enlisting elected officials by requesting a proclamation or letter of support can be effective way to introduce them to Hope for HIE and educate them about HIE and the organization's mission. Use the editable template to request a letter or support or proclamation. Please send an email to David Ford before you contact state and federal legislators to avoid duplication.
- Click here if you need help figuring out who your elected officials are.
- Download the editable template: Google Doc or Microsoft Word
- Edit the portions of the letter in red.
- Mail your letter.
- Generally, these requests take time to fulfill. Feel free to follow-up if you don't receive a response within a couple of weeks.
- Your elected officials may ask you to meet with them or participate in a photo-op. This is optional and should not have any impact on whether or not a letter of support or proclamation is issued.
- Take a photo of the document when you receive it and share it via social media. Please email a copy to David Ford and he will share it with the Board of Directors and on the organization's website and social media.